The Next Nikon Shooter?

A Nikon Shooter?

I got an email a couple of weeks back from MWW group which represents Nikon in the US. They wanted to send me a package in the mail.

The exchange was very cryptic and they wouldn’t tell me what they were sending. Well, the package arrived today, which was basically the mirror above along with a proposition for me to try out a Nikon D80 for 6 months to a year.

So anyone who know’s me, knows that I’m a fairly avid Canon FanBoy, but when asked whether someone should go Canon or Nikon, I usually tell them to go with what feels right in their hands.

So do you think I’ll be won over?

UPDATE: a related link… Nikon Stunning Gallery

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. matt says:

Rannie, I literally just got a D80 (like, yesterday afternoon, with a 50mm 1.8) and it’s flippin’ awesome. The build is nice and solid, all the controls are real easy to get to and… well… it’s just a really awesome camera.

I know you’re a Canon man, but hell, if they’re gonna give you a D80 for free, you may as well try it out. You never know, you may just be converted.

2. tbit says:

well if you don’t want it, you can always hand it over to someone else >;)

3. Yes, you will be won over. Welcome to the dark side.

4. The D80 is the best camera I’ve used. Did they send you any lenses? :-) Feel free to give them my name.

5. dusty says:

i’d start posting a lot about how your thinking about seriously making the switch. hopefully canon will get the hint and send you a 5D.

6. photojunkie says:

A couple of things I want to make clear.

a) I don’t have the camera yet
    b) I don’t know what glass they will be sending with it
    c) It is only a loaner. So I need to give it back at the end of the loan period.
    d) There is an option to purchase it afterwards.

7. cindy li says:

But did they send you lenses and how do u get on Nikon’s gift list ;)

8. neil says:

I recently upgraded my D50 to a D80 and lovelovelove it. I started off from scratch so I went with what felt right in my hands, and the build quality / ergonomics of the Canons just felt completely wrong.

If you’ve got a serious investment in Canon I can’t imagine you ever truly switching, but then again… people switch from PC to Mac all the time. :)

9. photojunkie says:

Neil…. Who is Mac and who is the PC in this case?

hehehe.

Switching to a Mac was one of the best things I could ever do for myself.

10. kathryn says:

I assume you’re saying yes to their proposition?

I would totally put in a request for some good freaking glass.

11. photojunkie says:

I don’t see why I shouldn’t give it a try.

I think it would be good to have some hands on experience with a Nikon SLR. So I can have a better understanding of how the two brands compare.

12. You are a lucky, lucky guy. If Nikon had showed me that love I would never have turned over to your Canon side. ;)

Mind you, I’m still waiting for my lost SLR to arrive in the mail. Canada Post is a photographer’s worst friend. :(

13. marc says:

Welcome tot he D80 club! Looking forward to hear/read your thoughts on it when you do get it.

14. Pete Nema says:

I’ve always been impressed by the features on Nikon, some of which I wish my Canon 30D had. However, since I shoot almost exclusively low-light, I picked Canon due to the endless reports (and studies) that show it has lower noise at high ISO. I think both brand have their virtues and you need to pick the camera that does what you need to do best.

I’ll be interested to hear your reports, especially any feedback you have after shooting a few concerts… especially ones with the low-light challenge!

15. They really should send a pro user like yourself a D200. Sure the D80 is 90% of a D200, but it’s those extra few features that make the camera really fun, and that metal body is great to hold.

Hopefully they send you an Nikkor 18-200mm VRII… not the sharpest of lenses, but a really fun all-around lens…

16. photojunkie says:

Pete,

I don’t know what lens they are gonna send with the camera. So we shall have to wait and see how usable it will be for lower light situations.

But I too have heard the same regarding lower noise at higher ISOs.

It would also be nice if they include a nice speedlite flash with the unit. Because I do my fair share of bouncing flash work indoors. Of course with the summer ahead. I’ll likely end up shooting a lot of stuff outdoors with it.

I’ll probably end up being double fisted all summer with a Nikon in one hand and a Canon in the other.

17. photojunkie says:

Mike,

you are totally right.. a D200 would probably be a better fit for me. as stepping down to a prosumer model seems like a bit of a step back.

Of course, I can’t be picky.

When I first got contacted, they said they found me through flickr, so not necessarily through my site.

Now if I could only convince Canon to loan me a 5D for 6 months to a year.

18. Ron says:

You ARE lucky Rannie! I currently own a D50 but have my sights set on the D80 once I can afford one. Although, there is rumor of a full-frame sensor Nikon DSLR in the works to compete with the Canon 5D. Anyway, you should get a good feel for the Nikon with the D80 loaner.

19. Taku says:

Nice offer! I’m sure you’ll like the D80 as it is a great camera. I found it was a tad too small to hold in my hands though, so you may think the same. Nonetheless, have fun. That 18-200mm is a great all-purpose lens too; the VRII does wonders!

I know someone else who got contacted too, only he got to keep his camera at the end! Why can’t I get this kind of luck too?! hehe…

20. photojunkie says:

Apparently, the lens they are sending is going to be the 18-135mm Which seems to be a nice all purpose range.

I too am concerned that the D80 may be too small for my hands. I usually like an SLR with a bit of heft to it. The Canon 20D that I am using now has a battery grip installed.

21. Paul says:

This is indeed an interesting offer. You should see if Canon wants to make a counter-offer

22. Steve says:

I have a D70S that i just got and I love it.

23. Blaine says:

A friend went from the D70s > D80 > 5D. When he had the D80, he did complain about the small size and grip problems but he got a battery grip as well and it wasn’t so bad. I did find it a little small as well.

24. Jordan says:

Rannie — Good photographers like you can take good pictures with any camera, but new ones with nice features make the job easier. Take the offer! (Says a Nikon guy.)

25. Ari says:

Now that you have two SLRs, you can start taking stereoscopic images!

Nice chating with you @ DemoCamp Btw

26. Jon says:

I have both a canon and a nikon…..both great cameras, I don’t discriminate!